Don Egan podcast

Friday, January 18, 2008

One small step - one giant leap...

I was walking in the hills with my friend Martin Garner recently, when I came upon this staircase (pictured above.) I couldn't see to the top of the hill or to our destination. I just had to take the next step and make some progress.

Just lately, a series of people keep asking me the same question. It's usually something like, "I'm not sure what the big long term picture is. God hasn't shown me yet. Therefore I don't know what to do now in the present."

The truth is that while God gives us all a vision for our life, if we ask him, he never shows us the whole picture. If he did that it would terrify most of us. Waiting for God to reveal your whole future is a stupid pointless activity. What God offers is to tell us the next step. That's why the Psalmist wrote, "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." 
(Psalm 119:105)

When we are in the dark and we have a lamp or a torch, we can only see the next step. We look to the glow of the lamp and step one step into the light we have. God's word gives us enough light to take the next step. So if you are frozen in fear of making a mistake and waiting for the 'big picture', just stop.  Chill out. Just ask Jesus to show you the next step. To give you a word that will be a lamp to your path and a lamp to your feet. 

Discipleship with Jesus is a journey. So as long as we are moving and in the general right direction, it's OK. Mistakes are not the same as sin. God cannot steer a stationary car so we need to move. But we don't need the whole map just now,  just the step. Each small step of obedience builds to an accumulated giant leap after time. What is your next step?
--------------------------------------------
Listen online at: www.doneganpodcast.co.uk
Don's books available at:  www.rsvptrust.co.uk/resources.html

No comments: